Gather US Passport Application Materials
You are applying for Child Passport

All children under the age of 16 must follow the instructions for Child Passport, including any of the following:

  • I am a child applying for a US passport for the first time.
  • I am a child whose previous US passport has expired or is about to expire.
  • I am child whose previous US passport has been lost or stolen.
  • I am a child whose name has been changed through court order from the time my last US passport was issued.  


Choose Passport Processing Time


Select processing time :  


Complete Child Passport Application Form (DS-11)


Complete and print ONLINE application form DS-11 now by double clicking on the link below:

                    Complete DS-11 Form Online       Help?

  • Please apply for a Passport Book.
  • Please do not sign this form now. (Explained in Step 2)
  • Please do not mail this form to the National Passport Center but to  APVI. (Address provided after Step 4 with order confirmation number)
  • Note: If your child was issued a US passport in the past and cannot find it, in addition to the DS-11 Form you must  Complete Form DS-64.

After completing and printing this form, please close the window and return to the passport instructions.


Proof of Relationship to Child


Please provide ONE form of evidence of child's relationship to Parent(s)/ Legal Guardian(s).  

Note: If one or both of the parents' names have changed since the issuance of the child's birth certificate or other proof of relationship, legal evidence of the parent's name change must be presented, such as marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s), court documents, etc.    

  • Official US Birth Certificate of your child (with parent's names). 
  • Original court order establishing guardianship
  • Original court order establishing custody
  • Original adoption decree (with adopting parents' names)
  • Form FS-240 or Form DS-1350 (with parents' names)
  • Foreign birth certificate (with parents' names)


Proof of US Citizenship of Child


Provide ONE of the following:

Certified US Birth Certificate or child's most recent 5-year U.S. Passport. NoteMutilated, laminated, altered, damaged, or 1- year limited passports are not acceptable evidence of U.S. Citizenship. The hospital-issued birth certificate is not the certified copy that is needed.  Note: If the parent's name on the child's citizenship document does not match the name on his/her state ID,  please provide a copy of the legal document to show the name change.  If the child's name on the citizenship document does not match the child's name on the application form, please provide the legal document to show the name change. 

For help obtaining a birth certificate, click here

If you were born outside the United States, please click here.


Proof of Identity of the Parent(s)


You must provide 2 COPIES of your valid driver's license or state ID card, with an issue date of 6 months ago or longer. Note: If the name on your ID does not match the name on your child's citizenship document, please provide a copy of the legal document to show the name change.

If your ID issue date is six months ago or less, or you don't have one at all, please click here for additional proof of Identity.


One Passport Photo


The passport photo has to meet Passport Agency Regulations.

                 Where can I have my child's passport photos taken?


APVI Letter of Authorization


Print TWO DUPLICATE ORIGINALS of APVI letter of authorization (LOA). The letters have to be manually signed in blue ink.  Using 'white out' or correction fluid may delay your passport application.

                                  APVI (LOA)        

***Please write "APVI" on the Courier Company Name Line***


Evidence of Travel


You must provide TWO COPIES of ONE of the following:

  • A copy of your child's plane ticket, or a travel itinerary generated by a travel agency showing the applicant's name and date of travel. 
  • If you are driving to Mexico or Canada, Click here for a Sample Travel Letter. Please also provide a copy of your hotel reservation. 


Government Fees


If you applied ONLY for a PASSPORT BOOK, write one check or money order for exactly $140 payable to: "US Department of State."  

  • All personal checks must have a printed address.
  • Please write Child's Name and Date of Birth on the Memo Line. 
  • The government does not accept credit card payment for these fees. 
  • If you applied for BOTH A PASSPORT  BOOK AND A PASSPORT CARD, write your check or money order for exactly $155 payable to "US Department of State."NoteThe passport card cannot be expedited. It will be sent to you via regular mail within 8 weeks from the U.S. Department of State. 
  • The Post Office or Courthouse that executes your application will also charge a $25 fee. (Explained in Step 2)


Visit an Acceptance Agent


After collecting all the documents in step1, you must appear in person before a designated Post Office or Court House where your passport application will be authorized by a local Government Official called: Acceptance Agent (AA).

If the child is 16 years of age or younger, both parents must appear with the child before the (AA) to sign the passport application. If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a Statement of Consent Form DS-3053. It is also recommended that the absent parent provide a photocopy of his or her valid state-issued ID. Or,

To find an Acceptance Agent (AA) near you, please click here.

Inform the (AA) that you are using an expediting service to "Hand Carry" your passport application to the Government for processing.

The (AA) will then:

  1. Ask you to sign of the DS-11 Form
  2. Add his signature to the DS-11
  3. Check your ID
  4. Ask for all the Documents you have collected in Step1 and seal them into an envelope using an officila seal or stamp.

Important: It is acceptable if the (AA) insists on not sealing into the envelope one or more items collected in Step 1. But make sure to send those items to APVI along with the sealed envelope.

Very Important: Make sure the (AA) returns the sealed envelope to you so that you can mail it directly to APVI (Washington, DC).  If the (AA) is unfamiliar or does not feel at ease about releasing it,  refer him to page 31 or 44 of his manual. This Department of State policy is called "Hand Carrying of Executive Application." Print this page and take it with you to the (AA) as a reference.

Once the sealed envelope is handed to you, please write your: 

First and Last Name

  1. Date of Birth
  2. Date of Departure

Important: Please send the sealed envelope to APVI (Washington, DC) as soon as it is sealed.  The seal on the envelope expires after four days.


Fill In Order Form

Fill In Order Form

Certified & Secured By